"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Press Here and Draw There

This fall, I picked up Herve Tullet's Press Here.  

I was familiar with Tullet's doodling books, but had not seen many of his books for younger readers.  Press Here is an interactive reading experience that celebrates the imagination. Watch the book trailer to get an idea of what I am speaking about. I also recently bought Tullet's The Game of Mix-Up Art, a book which allows and challenges the reader to play with not just art, but shape, line and color.

I have been eager to share both books with students.  Today was the perfect opportunity.  Happily I grabbed the art teacher and we joined forces to bring this lesson to the students.  We read Press Here (a great experience!), I gave some background on Tullet and then we explored The Game of Mix Up Art.  The art teacher explained the project and the students set to work. Toward the end of our time together, I showed this interview with Tullet along with some of the other books from his Website.

Let me just share that my fourth graders (100 in all) were completely enamored with Press Here, there was not an unengaged face in the crowd.  They were happily pressing, rubbing, shaking and tilting.  A great book is a great book no matter the age!

Here's a video of their art.  We'll be creating our own The Game of Mix-up Art books with their work! Look for them in the new year.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I'm so glad to have found your blog again. Love the Animoto of this great 'adventure.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sharon! I am still working on how to bind the student's books. Photos or video soon!

    ReplyDelete