"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Taking lessons from Frederick

In the book Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book edited by Anita Silvey, 100 leaders from the arts, humanities, science and business each share how a specific children's book influenced them. You can hear Anita Silvey talking about the book at the Library of Congress.
I shared some of the stories with students last year. I think the Peter Lynch essay is fabulous!  This coming year I would love to inspire the students to write their own essay. Stay tuned on that front.  Right now, I want to share one of mine.
****
I spend the summer on a mountain.  Actually I spend it on the side of a mountain.  Really I spend it on the side of a mountain that was a former volcano.  There is always something interesting to do - hike, bike and walk; plant, grow and harvest; or, swim, dive, and paddle.  I engage in these activities, but I spend a good deal of each day just being - looking and listening.  I came to a realization this year.  I am like Frederick. If you are not familiar with the book, watch this.
Like Frederick, I gather sun rays, colors and words.
I hold onto these images and sounds to remember them during the  dark, cold days of winter.
Like Frederick, I gathered the sights and sounds of summer to share.
But unlike Frederick, I am impatient so will share some of them with you now. Don't worry, I still gathered plenty more sounds and sights to share later.




















































2 comments:

  1. I love your pics inspired by Frederick, a beauty of a book that I shared each year. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Thank you! I love teaching a Leo Lionni unit in 1st grade.

      Delete