"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Celebrate: Third Graders

Discover. Play. Build.


Today I am celebrating my week with my third grade students.

Celebration Number One: Fannie in the Kitchen

During our scheduled library class we read Fannie in the Kitchen, written by Deborah Hopkinson  and illustrated by Nancy Carpenter. This book is much fun to read aloud, both text and illustrations sing.  ( I give it a #reedaloudrating of 10). We read it as a wrap up to our biography unit during women's history month. I have also used this book to connect to the cookbooks in on our Wonder Wall (nonfiction wall). The students will perform the reader's theatre script from Library Sparks this coming Monday.
Celebration Number Two: Suzy Kline

Suzy Kline came a visiting! That same day, Suzy Kline visited our school. She is a wonderful presenter - her rapport with the students demonstrates her background as a classroom teacher. Her visit is filled with stories, strategies, and anecdotes. It is also wonderfully interactive with skits and roles for students to play.



Celebration Number Three: Hour of Code

The students participated in Hour of Code on Thursday afternoon. I saw the three classes of students, back-to-back, and it was fabulous and fun. The productive din made my heart happy. 


There were other memorable and fun moments in the library this week, but these really stood out.

Happy Saturday All!


2 comments:

  1. I love the cover of Fannie in the Kitchen! :-) An author visit is always something worth celebrating! Hour of Code looks amazing. Great celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...my first reply did not appear so I will try again. I think these activities are exactly what need to be front and center in our libraries. We need to keep the wonder of reading and inquiry alive. Plus now you've got me wanting to read Fannie in the Kitchen again. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete