"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Saturday, March 22, 2014

CELEBRATE this week: On finding the brake pedal

Discover. Play. Build.

Holy Cow. The past two and one half months have been a roller coaster without end, a ride with thrilling highs and unwelcome lows passing by at a hair-raising speed.  At least that is what it feels like reflecting back on that time, while I sit here drinking espresso and reading the paper (cover-to-cover, I might add).

The past few months have held wonderful events at school like Read Across America, World Read Aloud Day, and author Skype visits. Work-related, but outside I school I have attended two conferences and presented at a third. All fun, inspiring, and fulfilling, but all with a certain amount of planning and work behind the scenes.  These thrilling highs, and the joy I get from spending time with my students every day, have kept me going during another bout of hospitalizations and rehab for my father, who suffered a minor stroke. My father is still in rehab, but we hope to get him home soon.  

This is why this morning of sitting and reading the paper, and not preparing for anything out of the ordinary work-wise and knowing that my father is doing better, feels like a celebration. 

The roller coaster  has not really stopped. We've got three and one half months of school (and all the great occurrences there), plus I am presenting at a conference next Saturday.  But, this is today. It's the start of spring and it's partly sunny and forty-five degrees here. I am going to celebrate by working in the garden.

11 comments:

  1. I love how you said, "But this is today." I was feeling like that too. I have things that are waiting for my attention a bit in the distance, but I can enjoy today right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear your dad is doing better.
    I slammed on the breaks this past week too.
    Enjoy today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace. Quiet. Coffee. Lovely. I have been working in the garden too and it feels just great. Nothing like being part of the magic of spring and new growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will hold on to the magic of spring and new growth, despite the fact that they predict 14" of snow on Thursday. ;)

      Delete
  4. So glad to you got to relax today! I am not ready to work in the garden yet, but it has been nice to take out the garbage without having to bundle up. Sign of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoyed your slow day today. You are so right about these last few months of school being a roller coaster. There is always so much to cram into this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went for a long hike yesterday -- the day just seemed to call many to take a breath and relax. Hope your gardening went well!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it did! I hope you found peace as well!

      Delete