"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, May 22, 2014

"I learned that you have to cite your sources so that someone doesn't think the information is from your head."

I asked a few groups of second graders what they learned while gathering information in the library during their African Animal research project. 

Here's what they said:

"I can read and learn about anything."


"I learned that I can look in many places like books and computers."



"I learned how to use a lot of different books, websites, and encyclopedias."

"I can look up facts on a topic and find out lots."


"I learned that pictures and videos can give you information."



"I learned how to use the table of contents  - that I can flip to specific pages."


"I can collect knowledge."



Why did you show which resource you were getting information from?

"In case I need to go back for more information or I don't understand what I wrote."


"So someone reading my work will know which source I am using."


"I can come back to that same resource next time and keep getting information."


"I learned not to copy."


"I learned that you have to cite your sources so that someone doesn't think the information is from your head."


What did you learn about the research process?

"I learned that it is important to be organized. We had different color sheets for each type of information."


"I learned that you can choose one specific thing and then choose different resources and find out as much as you can about it."


"I learned that you can exhaust a resource and then move onto the next."


"I learned that gathering information can be hard."


What did I learn? I learned more in these conversations than I would have if I had had them only fill out a rubric. I learned that we are in a great place to begin talking about and conducting research next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment