"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Second Graders' Tattoo Stories

The second graders and I read Tell me a Tattoo Story, written by Alison McGhee and illustrated by Eliza Wheeler. 
Prior to reading the book, the students and I talked about tattoos - what they are and why people might get them. After coming to an understanding that it is an art form often chosen to commemorate or remind one of a person, experience, event, or place, we read the book. 
After reading the book, I posed this question: "What event in your life would you like to be reminded of each time you looked at your arm?" The students were encouraged to think about an accomplishment, an event, a person, a place, or a word that would remind and encourage them. They first traced their hands and forearms and then set to work. I wasn't sure how this would go. I am impressed by their depth.
Remembering a grandmother who had died.

Finding encouragement in a word.

Remembering an accomplishment.

Remembering a trip.


















First baseball card with his picture and stats.







No comments:

Post a Comment