"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Saturday, June 11, 2016

"I wish you more school than summer vacation"

This week, the first graders and I read I Wish You More, written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld
I love that this book gets readers thinking beyond themselves. When I used this book with students last year, they sent wishes to each other.  I begin by asking students when they generally make wishes and what it is they wish for. We then talk about making wishes for others and move into reading the book. I especially appreciate talking about the two spreads below because they are fairly universal and very concrete. 


This year, I asked the students to send wishes to their teachers. I saw many wishes that reflected the affirming messages these teachers send to the students every day. I also saw ones related to the teachers lives outside of school.  It's funny and affirming how many students thought their teachers would want more school and less vacation. It must mean that these teachers are demonstrating how much they love their jobs!
















































No comments:

Post a Comment